Sunday, September 2, 2007

Angst: Definition

How do you define the word angst?

For, me I define it as feelings of dreaded anxiety, or having a little bit of anxiety, which I personally would quote from Oxford Dictionary. More so, I also googled the word to be able to make sure that my definition was indeed correct.

Here are some of the web's definition on the word angst:


Angst, often confused with anxiety, is a transcendent emotion in that it combines the unbearable anguish of life with the hopes of overcoming this seemingly impossible situation. Without the important element of hope, then the emotion is anxiety, not angst. Angst denotes the constant struggle one has with the burdens of life that weighs on the dispossessed and not knowing when the salvation will appear.
Urbandictionary.com

A German word which means "anxiety" or "anguish." Technically, this is a term used in Existentialism which expresses the dread reality that the future is an unknown chasm; therefore, the choices that a person ( the existent ) makes are the determining factor in the outcome of one's future - thus, the cause for "angst."
www.apologetics.org/glossary.html


But why the hell am I blogging the etymology of the word? Because, I heard a lot of people using the word in a wrong sentence which really annoys me. And when I try to correct them, all I can hear were "Really?" or "Where have you gotten that meaning?"

I don't mean to offend people, but I think it's just right to say that they've been using the wrong word as a synonym for being cocky, or self-confident.

Here's the example that I've heard, from a model search.
"... the angst was there, isn't it." (I do hope I remember that correctly!)

The host was pertaining to self-confidence of the contestant and not being worried or fearful at all.

I'm going to search for the video on youtube as evidence... lolz

Posted by jaycee at 5:38 AM |  
Labels:


If you enjoyed this post, please make sure you subscribe to my regular Email Updates!


Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book




1 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)